Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Check it out...

What's this? Two midweek posts in a row?

Surely the End Times must be coming...

Hey, it's a busy week, and I have no explanations -- but I don't think this will mark a pattern of multi-post weeks on my part, unless I suddenly become unemployed.

Which will happen in a couple of days, now that I think of it.

Anyway, the reason for this second mid-week aberation is to alert you to a really wonderful post on another Industry blog called "Life Below the Line." Published by a sound mixer/boom person in New York, this is one of my favorite Industry blogs. The mystery Sound Woman writes like a dream, and has a sharp eye for the telling details that bring a story to life. She's really good.

She doesn't post very often, but when she does, it's always worth reading. Her post of Oct. 29 (called "Needy") is a real gem, describing the strange world of commercials, the needy nature of actors, and a whole lot more. If you're interested in delving deeper into the emotional mechanics of this strange Industry -- or just like good writing -- I urge you to check it out.

For reasons I don't understand, I was unable to link directly to this post -- but if you click here, and scroll down to the second post, you'll find "Needy."

I think you'll be glad you did.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

I wish she wrote more often. I figured out who she is once upon a time (she'd been describing a job I realized I'd been on), but then her super-powers of Anonymous-ness snuck into my brain and yanked the knowledge out.

Michael Taylor said...

Most industry bloggers try hard to maintain their anonymity (for good reason), but standing naked in public with just a bag over one's head isn't so easy. Sooner or later, a reader somewhere recognizes a birthmark here, a mole there, or maybe the particular shape of a leg -- and poof, the bubble of anonymity vanishes. It's a tightrope walk under the best of circumstances.

Having started this space in the pure vacuum of complete and blissful ignorance, I knew nothing of other Industry blogs. I didn't figure anybody would read it in the first place, and thus was dumb enough to hang my name on the front door. But what's done is done, so I write these posts accordingly.

The anonymous bloggers have more freedom to rag on lousy jobs and bad working conditions, but they too must be careful what they say, lest their harsh remarks be specific enough for others in the Industry to deduce their identities.

I'll admit to being curious who they are, and even tried to arrange a get-together of LA Industry bloggers, but it didn't fly. I was mildly disappointed, but completely understood. Hollywood is a big little town where word gets around fast -- and the wrong words can smother a career in the crib. I will always respect the privacy/anonymity of my fellow Industry bloggers.

Nathan said...

I hope you didn't think I would have narced her out. I actually remembered who she was for quite a while. I'd never expose someone who chooses to blog anonymously unless their purpose was so they could be an asshole.

I made a conscious decision to blog openly because I figure if my name's on it, I'll think twice about what I write. In the end, all I'm giving up is the ability to dish certain dirt. I can live with that.

That, and like you say, the anonymity is illusory. Anyone determined enough is going to figure out who you are.

Scripty said...

If you think of it this way we all know each other via the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon theory. I'm sure Nathan and Michael could get within few links...(I worked with so and so, and he worked with so and so and she worked with you on "X") That's why I chose to post anonymous. Hollywood is a very small town. And yes, I'm sure if someone wanted to waste a perfectly good day, you could figure out who I am.

Michael Taylor said...

Scripty:

You're probably right -- it wouldn't be all that hard to figure out who the various pseudonomous Industry bloggers are, but I can't think of a single valid or defensable reason to do so. That's what I meant by respecting the wishes of anonymous bloggers -- if you need to fly under the radar, then I won't ask around or make any other attempt to deduce your secret. Knowing who you really are isn't important. Besides, if someone were to "out" you, you might stop blogging, and that would be a loss for us all.